Scratch Cards at Wintingo
The introduction of scratch cards, or scratch games, to the online casino market in 2010 saw the birth of a new niche in the industry; casual gaming. This niche has allowed online casinos to attract a previously untapped portion of consumers and is the forerunner to the social gaming revolution currently sweeping the scene.
The origins of the scratch card games is in contrast a humble one. The first scratch card to offer truly randomised, computer-based results was created by the Scientific Games Corporation in 1974. However, the format was created seemingly out of time and operators and consumers alike just didn’t know what to make of it. It wasn’t until Astro-Med patented the scratchcard in 1987 and offered it in it’s current cheap instant-win lottery format before the popularity of the scratchcard was truly realised.
5 interesting scratchcard facts and figures
One of the newest additions to the casino world, scratchcards have quickly earned their stripes and has become a popular choice for a previously untapped group of players. The casual gaming market has grown enormously over the last 5 years with the introduction of social gaming.
As a result, the development and history of the format offers fascinating factoids with the 5 below being our favourite.
- The first online scratch cards were introduced in 2010, over 6 years after the launch of the first casino. Early versions of the game’s online variant made use of Flash and were almost exact replicas of their offline cousins. However, since their launch online scratchcards have broken free from the confines of the offline design to offer features and gameplay exclusive to online variants.
- In 1995 Camelot introduced the first scratchcard to the United Kingdom costing just £1. The inexpensive nature of the format meant that the popularity of scratchcards exploded almost instantly. Today, scratchcards in the UK award over 690,000 winners each week.
- In New Zealand, government legislation had to be introduced to curb consumer spending on scratch cards. As a result, when purchasing scratch cards in New Zealand a customer is only allowed to purchase 12 at a time.
- Since their inception as a gambling product, the scratch card mechanic has been used in a variety of other applications including the sealing of pin codes for safe transportation and delivery by banking institutions.
- One of the largest scratch card jackpots in the world is a £1,000,000 main jackpot offered on a card sold in the United Kingdom. The card costs just £5.
Enjoy scratchcards? You might also like Wintingo’s selection of online bingo titles.
Discover more Wintingo casino games
Wintingo offers a selection of over 800 of the finest feature-rich online casino games from three of the titans of casino game development. Check out our games page to explore more of the casino’s selection.
New players to Wintingo Online Casino are eligible to take advantage of the casinos New Player Welcome Bonus which awards players up to $/€ 500 free in deposit match bonuses and 50 Free Spins on Starburst™.